The Magic of Mallorca- My top 5 food & wine experiences in Palma this week, there’s something for everyone!
I finally arrived on the gorgeous island of Mallorca last Monday and headed straight to the seafront to enjoy a crisp and bubbly glass of Cava! First, post lockdown holiday with my mum, and it was very much needed! My main goal this holiday was to try some new food and wine pairings, discover some new restaurants and bars, and speak as much Spanish as possible!! I also wanted to relax admiring the spectacular sea views. I can happily say that all these goals were well and truly accomplished! Check out my top 5 experiences.
- The Sky Bar at the top of the 4* Hotel Almudania in Palma, on Avenida Jaime III. The hotel itself is in the middle of some of the top designer boutiques and shops, and the Sky Bar is on the 8th floor of this quaint hotel. As soon as you get to the 8th floor you walk into the Hotel’s fine restaurant which has a fantastic fusion-inspired menu. We didn’t dine, but we did enjoy a ‘Copita de Cava’ in the ‘Bar Salon’, admiring the most incredible views of this wonderful city. To the left, we had Palma Cathedral and to the right, we could see the Castillo de Bellver (the Bellver Castle). We stopped after 2 glasses of Cava, as the stairs to get to the top of the roof terrace were extremely narrow and steep! Apart from the magnificent views, what I also loved about this small but picturesque terrace, was how diverse the clientele was. There were holidaymakers, office workers, students, and mum and I! Great to see people being able to embrace life and each other again. Peaceful atmosphere, delicious Cava, and if you are heading to Palma for a girl’s trip or a romantic break, it’s the perfect place to make memories.
2. Restaurante Pesquero in Palma, located in Muelle de La Lonja. With over 60 years of experience, this emblematic venue with idyllic views of the sea and local fishing boats can offer an array of dishes to suit all tastes and all occasions. It also has a fabulous wine list, which I had to dive into first! Glass of Cava on arrival, followed by Mar de Frades Albariño. A dry, crisp, and zesty white wine from Rías Baixas. Full of lime, lemon zest, and peach aromas, perfect with seafood.
For lunch, we ordered ‘Chipirones Fritos’ fried baby squid and the most incredible ‘Langostinos a la Plancha’ grilled king prawns. Delicious!! There will definitely be a next visit to this venue, and next time I will be exploring some of the rice dishes and more of the local wines to pair with them!
3. Restaurante Just Enmig in Cala Estancia, offers traditional Mediterranean cuisine since 1995! Family run and I have been going with my family since I was 12! Lots of memories have been made in this wonderful venue, which is blessed with the most gorgeous views of Cala Estancia beach. Serving the best Paella on the island, as well as other fish, meat dishes, and salads. I always opt for the seafood Paella. They also offer a takeaway service too, which means we were able to enjoy this tasty Spanish dish on our terrace with a nice bottle of Cava. Great G&Ts too!!
4. La Taberna, which is in Can Pastilla, is a typical Spanish tapas bar, full of interesting local characters and lots of fantastic wines! I was in my element. To start we had a glass of Bodegas Sumarroca, Cava Brut and Brut Rosé. I also sampled 2 glasses of Mont Ferrutx. A fantastic red wine, a blend of indigenous Majorcan grapes Callet, Manto Negro, and Fogoneu by Bodegas Miquel Oliver. We ordered some tapas; jamón serrano, patatas bravas, garlic prawns. What made this place memorable for me was the atmosphere and the staff who were so welcoming and invited me back to try more wines next time!
5. Finally, El Pizzero, another new experience for us this time, is a great place to order pizza from when you just feel like chilling at home with a nice bottle of local wine. Speaking of wine, I was gifted a beautiful bottle of Manto Negro from Can Piza Boutique Winery, more about this wine to come in a separate post!! In terms of the pizza, well, I don’t eat cheese, so they kindly made tasty seafood pizza and ham and mushroom pizza without cheese, delivered it promptly, excellent service overall, and went amazingly with the wine!
If you are travelling to Palma de Mallorca anytime soon, do give these places a go and try some of my food and wine pairing suggestions!